Bonsal American logo

Our History

Bonsal American was formed in 2002 with the merger of two Oldcastle companies, American Stone-Mix, based in Towson, MD, and the W.R. Bonsal Company, based in Charlotte, NC.

Originally established in 1895 as a supplier and contractor for southern railroads, the W.R. Bonsal Company began mining for sand and gravel near Lilesville, NC in 1906 and opened its first packaged cement products plant in 1947. That same year, the Bonsal Company signed a licensing agreement to produce SakreteĀ® products for six states in the Southeast. In 1952 a Florida plant was added, followed by plants in Georgia, Tennessee and Ohio along with additional Florida plants. W.R. Bonsal became the leading manufacturer of bagged cement mixes, tile and stone installation and concrete restoration and repair products throughout the Southeast.

Although American Stone-Mix was established in 1987 in a leveraged buyout from Redlands LLC, its predecessor companies originated with the Harry T. Campbell Company of Towson, Maryland in 1879. Originally an aggregates supplier and later a ready mix concrete producer, Harry T. Campbell became one of the original SakreteĀ® licensees in 1945. In 1960 the company was acquired by the Flintkote Co., and in 1981 it became the Genstar Stone Products Co. Shortly after being purchased by Redlands LLC in 1986, it became American Stone-Mix. By then, American Stone-Mix was a strong regional producer of packaged cement-based products and asphalt maintenance products, serving the Northeast, Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions of the U.S.

Both dynamic regional companies were integrated by Oldcastle Architectural Products Group (APG) to form Bonsal American in 2002.

Today Bonsal American is one of the largest producers of packaged building material products in the United States.